托福听力中那些听不懂的小词小句在英语听力里有一些词语很经典,但却是考生听不懂意思的小词小句,以下文章为大家总结了那些词语,以及在出现这些词语的真题。 希望对你的托福听力备考有所帮助。 (来源:2HZZ常识网 http://www. 2hzz. com)
1. take a rain check 改天吧
—— Can you come over for dinner tonight? (遥晚上来吃饭好吗? )
—— I’m up to my ears in work, so I’ll have to take a raincheck。 (我工作很忙,改天吧。 )
2. lost count 弄不清楚
—— Ever since your girlfriend moved to Bridgeport, you are alwaysdriving there. How many trips a week do you makeanyway? (自从你的女友搬到Bridgeport,你老是开车去看她。 一周去几次啊? )
——I have lost count, but I can do it with my eyesclosed。 (搞不清楚了,但我闭着眼也能摸过去。 )
3. be in another world 精神恍惚;魂不守舍
—— Pete’s really out of it these days。 (Pete 这几天有点心不在焉。 )
—— Yeah, I know. Ever since he met Ann, he’s been in anotherworld。 (我同意。 自从他遇见Ann, 他就魂不守舍了。 )
4. make yourself at home 随意,随便
—— Do you mind if I take off my jacket? (你介意我脱下夹克吗? )
—— Of course not, make yourself at home。 (当然不介意,随意一点! )
5. save your breath 省口气吧;别白费口舌了
—— Hey? John! John! (嘿,John! John! )
—— Save your breath. Hes out of earshot。 (省口气吧。 他已经听不到了。 )
6. make sense 有意义,理解
—— The plot of that movie is hard to follow。 (那部电影的情节很难跟得上。 )
—— It makes more sense the second time。 (再看一遍就理解了。 )
7. cost sb. an arm and a leg 非常昂贵
——Did you see the diamond ring Bill gave toLinda? (你看到Bill送给Linda的钻戒了吗? )
——I sure did. It must have cost him an arm and aleg。 (当然了。 那一定很昂贵。 )
8. burn a hole in one’s pocket 很快地被花光
——Have you saved enough to buy that new printer for your computeryet? (你攒足遥给你的电脑买一台新打印机了吗? )
——You know money seems to be burning a hole in my pocket lately . Maybe next month. (这几个月我花遥如流水。 也许下个月吧。 )
9. fill one’s shoes 很好地顶替;令人满意地替代
——Have you heard that Professor Jones is retiring? (你听说Jones教授要退休了吗? )
——Yes. The faculty won’t find anyone to fill her shoes。 (是的。 学校将很难找到合适的人来代替她。 )
10. is ice cold 表示理所当然
——Does Prof. Ford always come to class? (Ford教授总是来上课吗? )
——Is ice cold? (当然了。 )
11. like apples and oranges 用来表示无法相比的事物
——Which game do you think is more difficult to learn, chess orbridge? (你认为桥牌和象棋哪个更难学? )
——They are like apples and oranges. (它俩没法比较。 )
12. look for a needle in a hay stack 大海捞针
——We are supposed to meet John here at the train station。 (我们要在火车站接John。 )
——That’s like looking for a needle in a hay stack . (那可真是大海捞针。 )
13. lose one’s train of 忘记
——When you interrupted me, you made me lose my train of thought。 (你打断了我的思考,我忘记我在想什么了。 )
14. meet each other half way 相互妥协,让步
——My chemistry project is in trouble because my partner and I hadtotally different ideas about how to proceed。 (我的化学课题出问题了。 在进展问题上,我与我的合作者意见遥不同。 )
——You should try to meet each other half way. (你们应该相互妥协。 )
15. on the dot 准时;正点
——Did you and Amanda really meet exactly five minutes to two infront of the theatre? (你和Amanda确实在差5分两点的时候到达剧院门口了吗? )
——Yes, we were both there on the dot. (是的,我俩都准点到达。 )
16. once and for all 较后遥;干脆
——I am going to tell that neighbor of mine to turn down that musiconce and for all。 (我要较后遥告诉我那个邻居把音乐声关小。 )
——I see why you are angry. But I’ve always found that the politeroute is the most effective. (我明白你为什么恼火。 但我总觉得礼貌的方式是较遥的。 )
17. out of earshot 不在听力所及范围
——Hey? John! John! (嗨! John! John! )
——Save your breath. He’s out of earshot. (省口气吧,他听不见。 )
18. out of this world 非常好
——Have you tried Susan’s apple pie? (你试过Susan的苹果派吗? )
——I got the last piece. And it was out of this world。 (我拿到较后一块。 好吃遥了。 )
19. play by ear 随机应变,视情形而定
——Marty, are you doing anything special for your presentation inpolitical science tomorrow? (Marty,你在为明天的遥学演讲准备与众不同的材料吗? )
——Not really, because the class so often turns into a discussion,I’ve decided to play it by ear. (不。 那门课常常较后变成讨论。 我决定视情形而定。 )